On south from Broad Park, near the site of the pioneer homestead of William Parker's, was platted on May 14, 1893 a village named Mount Washington. It was located in the southeast corner of the west half of the north west quarter of section 17 east of the Walnut Chapel Church. Lots one through nine were platted from the land of Elizabeth Hill and Benjamin Parker. Later an addition was proposed, but the village did not last. However, they managed to have a post office there for about three years. Harmon J. Hurst was appointed the postmaster on November 1891. He was succeeded by Benjamin A. Parker on February1894, but on August 10th of the same year the mail was changed to Belle Union. Mount Washington ceased to exist years ago.
In the January 14, 1930 edition of the Daily Banner two lost communities in old Mill Creek Township were described, Vettersville and Mt. Washington:
It takes a fairly old man or woman, and of Mill Creek township, at that, to tell you where Mount Washington was. It was another Putnam County community now decadent. it was located northwest of the site of old Vettersville, a couple of miles. William H Parker had a store there, and his brother Hugh, well known Mill Creek Township citizen, was born at this place. Alex Clark also traces his life back to Mt. Washington. There seemed to be no particular reason for Mt. Washington to continue to breath, and hence, it was permitted to join that innumerable caravan that “went west.”
According to local resident and history buff Jordan Vaughn, William “Henley” Parker (1815-1875) was the primary land owner of Mt. Washington and nearby Vettersville, which we will move to next.