Cloverdale Township Schools
Since there were few small communities in Cloverdale Township, I am going to highlight the original township schools. These schools were discontinued in 1921-1922 and were consolidated into the Cloverdale school system. The locations of the schools can be a bit confusing because Cloverdale Township is split north and south as legal Township 12N and 13N, and also east and west by Range 3W and Range 4W. Cloverdale Township was originally part of Warren and Jefferson Townships, and some of the early land records for property in what is now Cloverdale Township reflect that fact.
Unless otherwise noted, photographs of these schools are from Schools in Our Time, and photograph of Eckles Covered Bridge courtesy of the Putnam County Public Library.
School No. 1, also known as Horntown School, was in Sec 35 of Twp 13N R 3W.
School No. 2, also known as Higgins Creek School. The school closed in the spring of 1921 and the students were sent to Cloverdale. It was located in the northwest part of section 3 of Twp 12N R 3W.
School No. 3, also known as Broadstreet School, was in the southern part of section 31 of Twp 13N R 3W
School No. 4, also known as Crose School, was in the northeast part of section 2, Twp 12N R 4W
School No. 5, also known as Poplar Grove, was the northeast part of section 4, Twp 12N R 4W
School No. 6, also known as Salem School, was in the northwest part of section 5, Twp 12N R 4W
School No. 7, also known as Herbert School, was located near Lieber State Park in the northern part of section 17, along the border with section 8, of Twp 12N R 4W.
School No. 8, also known as McClure School House, was at the extreme southwest corner of section10 of Twp 12N R 4W.
School No. 9, also known as Oak Point School, was located in the northern part of section 14 of Twp 12N R 4W.
School No. 10, also known as Steele Schoolhouse, was in the extreme northeast part of section 13 of Twp 12N R 4W
School No. 11 was located at the southern part of section 9 of Twp 12N R 3W, near the stop on the L. N. A. & C. Railroad once called Oakland.