History

Beginning (1990's-2003)

 

In the late 1990's the Putnam County Historical Society sought a permanent home for the collection, preservation and protection of artifacts and stories relating to Putnam County and its people. Public meetings were held in concert with Main Street Greencastle, the Putnam County Convention and Visitors Bureau, and interested community members.

 

In 2002, the Putnam County Board of Commissioners helped secure a location. Volunteers formed a board of directors, elected officers, wrote policies, procedures, and by-laws. With the Putnam Community Foundation's grant of $20,000 and $10,000 in community contributions, the Museum hired its first director in January 2003.

 

 

First Home & Relocation (2003-06)

 

The Museum's first home was two rooms in the old Jones School, now the Putnam County Courthouse Annex. 

 

In 2006 the Museum made a major move to its present location on North Jackson Street. Once again, the community stepped up with extraordinary support. It provided financial assistance as well as volunteer labor. In-kind donations provided much of the skilled labor and materials necessary to convert the large, empty space to an attractive and functional museum.

Bridging Generations (2006-present)

 

Over the last several years, the Museum has continued to expand its collection and provide diverse and quality exhibits. As an increasingly vital part of its community, the Museum also provides group meeting space and educational programs for adults and children. It strives to be a cultural hub dedicated to preserving and honoring the past while promoting activities that bridge generations to the present.

Museum Hours   

Tues - Fri  1 - 4 pm

Sat - 10 am - 2 pm

Putnam County Logo with Tagline Light Gr

 

Putnam County Museum • 1105 North Jackson Street • Greencastle Indiana 46135 • 765.653.8419 • info@putnamcountymuseum.org